Cold, Warm, Warmer...Hotline!

Welcome to The Hotline. I will express my point of view on several different topics such as mass media, films, music, literature, and fashion. Sit down and buckle up, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

Monday, March 28, 2011

Underground But Known


Invincible

Waajeed


To reflect on the class session on March 23rd, I felt so privileged to be in the same room as Invincible and Waajeed. As I entered class and saw that we had guests, I was immediately confused and excited. I was confused and excited because I knew Dr. Raimist had something special in store for us, I just didn’t know what exactly. The guests that were in the classroom were Detroit natives, Invincible and Waajeed. They are very successful independent music artists. They were on our campus to shoot a music video with students from one of Dr. Raimist’s classes and wanted stop by and speak with us. They discussed several topics in our class time from the development of music and music video to the significance of social networking. The discussion was very informational and educational.
As Invincible and Waajeed played their music for the class, I realized how much meaning was in each lyric of the song. It is full of emotions and feelings that tackled hard topics that no one wants to discuss but should. The music was high quality and unique from music we hear on the radio everyday. To hear music with so much feeling and soul, reminded me of old school real music. I even thought about deleting half of the songs off of my iPod. They also showed us some of their music videos and the making of one video. I really enjoyed the music video and felt like the video fit well with the lyrics of each song.
Invincible and Waajeed discussed the significance of social networking like Facebook, Twitter. They even have their own individual websites. They told the class that they preferred not to use social networking but they had to for job purposes. I found this very odd because I love social networking and use it for everything as a college student. Waajeed explain that he uses Twitter to communicate with other artists to collaborate on songs. From this discussion, we realized how important social networking is to the music world.
It was an honor to sit and talk with musical and social networking experts. It was even more of an honor for the artists, Invincible and Waajeed to be successful artists even though they are independent. I applaud the fact that they refused to let record labels and money compromise themselves as individuals and their act because their art is absolutely beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment