Cold, Warm, Warmer...Hotline!

Welcome to The Hotline. I will express my point of view on several different topics such as mass media, films, music, literature, and fashion. Sit down and buckle up, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

Monday, April 4, 2011

A Sample of History


In 2010, Copyright Criminals was produced by Benjamin Franzen and Kembrew Mcleod. The film provided in depth information about sampling from artists and well needed terminology. It also explained the benefits and troubles of music sampling and its collision with copyright laws.  Music sampling becomes a record and a record is apart of history.

After watching the film, I had several opinions to emerge in my mind. These opinions were both positive and negative. I explained my opinions as I answered the following questions.

1.      In your opinion, is sampling a form of copyright infringement? Explain your position.
       
      In my opinion, I believe sampling music is not copyright infringement if the artists received permission from the artists who made the original track.
     
2.      Do you agree that, as we stated in the film, Hip Hop’s sampling is no different from other artistic work? Why or why not?
      
      Yes, I completely agree that sampling is no different from other artistic work because as the artists said a D.J. to the instrumental is the painter to the photographer. A turntable has become an instrument by the way it samples other songs to create a new song.

3.      Do legal actions against sampling limit the exposure of artists whose work is sampled or do these artists protect the artists’ interests? Explain why you feel that way.

I think that sampling can either help or hurt the artists’ exposure because in some cases artist sales increase dramatically especially if being sampled on another popular artists’ song or a hit television shows like Glee. But on the other hand, sales can decrease if the other artists’ song receives more attention than the original. I feel like when this happens, the original artists should receive some of the profit from the song. There should be a written agreement or contract among the artists to eliminate any dram that may occur.


No comments:

Post a Comment